- 1 medium Onion chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 rashers short cut bacon diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500 grams broccoli florets cut into small pieces
- 2 medium potatoes peeled & diced (dice size 1-2 cm for quicker cooking)
- 1 Litre chicken or vegetable stock salt-reduced
- 50 grams cheddar cheese grated
- 4-6 slices crusty bread
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and add onion, garlic and bacon.
- Fry till onion softens and bacon is beginning to crisp.
- Add diced potatoes and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Add broccoli and simmer for an additional 5 minutes till broccoli is just soft (it should still be a lovely vibrant green colour, not grey!)
- While soup is simmering, top your crusty bread with grated cheese and melt under a grill.
- Remove the soup from the heat and blend with a stick blender or food processor.
- Serve immediately with the cheesy bread for dipping.