Here’s an exciting variation of the original family favourite shared to us by Caitlyn Osborne, a Nutrition & Dietetics Student! This layered casserole, jam-packed with veggie goodness, is sure to be a crowd favourite and have many hungry tums coming back for more….
Many components of this dish can be prepared well in advance, such as the roasted veggies and shredded chicken (all of which are freezer friendly!). Consider making this a meal that can extend through the week (perfect for busy parents) and even suitable for lunchboxes. The Mexican lasagne is yours to be creative with and is sure to have the house smelling irresistibly delightful!
- 1/2 medium head of cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 medium head of broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (filling about 2 cups)
- 2 red capsicums, diced
- 1 small roasted chicken, deboned and shredded - this can be bought ready from the supermarket, prepared in advance and frozen until required.
- 2 jars mild salsa (2 x 300g)
- 3 mountain bread rice wraps (low gluten option), cut into halves
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (1½ cups cooked)
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups shredded tasty cheese
- taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper to season
- To roast the vegetables (can be done in advance), preheat oven to 180oC and line two trays with baking paper. Arrange capsicum, sweet potato, cauliflower and broccoli evenly across trays. Drizzle olive oil over the top, and season with salt, pepper and taco seasoning. Toss vegetables until lightly coated in oil and spices. Bake vegetables until tender and caramelised, about 30-35 minutes (checking regularly).
- Prepare shredded chicken ready for lasagne assemble.
- To assemble, layering will occur in a large baking dish. Place down rice wrap, spread mild salsa evenly, top with shredded chicken and mixed roasted vegetables, add the beans, spinach and cheese. Continue this order of layering with all remaining ingredients and finish with a final layer of salsa and cheese.
- Cover the large baking dish with aluminium foil. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove aluminium foil and bake for 10 more minutes or until heated through.
- Let the lasagne cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a fresh garden salad