You’ll never be stuck for sandwich filling ideas…EVER…AGAIN!
Use these super sandwich ideas to take lunch to a new level.
Some of these suggestions are truly kid-friendly and some are more exotic.
It’s great to challenge the kids’ taste buds with different sandwich fillings.
- Egg and lettuce – mix egg with a little light mayo or butter (plus optional curry powder). Top with crunchy fresh lettuce and/or alfalfa or snow pea sprouts
- Banana and ricotta cheese or peanut butter or honey (not for under 12 months)
- Sultanas, grated carrot and ricotta cheese
- Ricotta cheese, baby spinach leaves and sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Baked beans and grated cheese – drain a little of the juice off or it gets messy! Great toasted.
- Hummus and roasted vegetables
- Roasted vegetables – roasted capsicum and eggplant (DIY or from a jar), tomato, baby rocket or spinach and black olive tapenade
- Mexican salsa – diced cherry tomatoes, red onion and avocado, lime juice, coriander leaves (great atop rice cakes or toasted Turkish)
- Veggie or lentil burger, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, dollop of natural yoghurt and sweet chilli sauce – the burger can be toasted in a sandwich press or cooked in a non-stick fry pan from frozen for 2 minutes each side (quicker than you think!). Excellent on a wrap. Deb’s favourite!
- Tuna, ricotta, corn kernels and grated cheese
- Cream cheese, tuna, cucumber and carrot
- Tuna and home-made coleslaw – mix together finely shredded green cabbage and red cabbage, shallots, parsley and natural yoghurt
- Salmon and caper salad – mashed a small tin of drained pink salmon with a fork and mix in a little mayo and ½ tsp of finely chopped capers. Top with avocado, cucumber, tomato and baby spinach or lettuce
- Smoked salmon, capers, cottage cheese mixed with some fresh dill, cucumber and rocket
- Nicoise tuna – Tuna, lettuce, tomato, sliced olives, sliced hard-boiled egg, parsley and a little mayo
- Crumbed fish with lettuce, tomato and mayo – use your leftover fish from fish and chips. Great on a wrap!
- Turkey meat, cranberry sauce (or chopped dried cranberries), lettuce and swiss cheese
- Rare roast beef, cottage cheese, Dijon mustard, tomato, avocado and baby spinach. Note: rare roast beef is available from your supermarket or deli, or you can use your own left over roast beef!
- Lean chicken, ricotta, baby rocket and zucchini (cook slices in a non-stick frypan or grill pan till browned and tender)
- Shredded lean chicken, ricotta, cooked sweet potato and chives
- Ham, cottage cheese mixed with some corn relish, cucumber and alfalfa or snow pea sprouts
- Mexi-chicken – lean chicken, mashed avocado, lettuce, diced tomato, red onion, coriander and a dash of taco sauce or salsa. Super on a wrap.
- BLT – lean short-cut bacon, lettuce and tomato (+ avocado and mayonnaise if you like)
- Roast lamb (use your leftovers), yoghurt, tomato, lettuce and grated carrot
- Roast lamb (use your leftovers), pesto, grated carrot, sliced cheese
- Leftover spaghetti bolognaise – great on a toasted sandwich